Thursday, September 20, 2007

So this blogging thing is pretty addictive

So blogging, who knew I would ever start. My sister used to blog all the time and still does. I always admired her for it. I loved getting on line and reading about my nephews everyday life. The boys live a few hundred miles away, yet I could still find out what happened at school that day...like I was there with them.

I thought blogging looked like the hardest thing in the world to do. I didn't know a thing about it and didn't want to! Then one day in teacher inservice, Ms. Hill, our librarian, spoke to us about new technology. We discussed the idea that here are all of us...old dull teachers...not knowing a darn thing about things like my space and the likes...things are students spend hours on, everyday single day. The idea is that we should adapt to our students rather than our students conforming to us. You have to admit, times have changed! I remember the day they put the card catalog on computer at Eastern and no one could find a darn thing...but guess what, we adapted and we learned. Now I am not sure that I could look up a book in the files.

I don't think that that any of us simply don't like change. I think it is that change scares us. I am an art teacher who deals in color everyday, but deciding what color to paint my bathroom scares me. I don't want to make a mistake and I don't want to look like I don't know what I am doing!

So to adapt to my students has been quite challenging. Challenging...but successful. I must say that blogging isn't hard, it was simply putting aside my fears and trying something new. The students love to see there art online and knowing how things are going in our room. And we as teachers one by one are moving out of our little shells. I love to get on our high school website and see each new teacher who puts up a blog. Even a few teachers that might suprise you...teachers who are adapting!

No comments: